baslinux - Re: [BL] use your gmail acct for archiving/backup

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] use your gmail acct for archiving/backup
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 12:28:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, Steven wrote:

4) e-mail, individually, the created files to yourself at your gmail account

You'll need Opera for this (or perhaps Sindi's SSL lynx).
Neither the browser nor the email in BL3 can connect to gmail.

Well, it's true that if you can't access gmail's web interface, there won't be much point in archiving your files there. But as to sending your split-up files, isn't it true that BL's mail client can send attachments? So, by adding split to BL, one could at least use it to tar a directory, split the tarred file, then send the pieces off to a gmail account, right? Then, actually retrieving the archive/backup thereby created and sent would require installing Opera or perhaps an SSL-capable Lynx.

I'm continuing to evolve this scheme and have changed it somewhat--combining the tarring (with added bzip compression now) and splitting operation. If what I intend works as planned, this should probably be worked into a bash script. But until I test it out by sending to my gmail account several ca. 20MB attachments during the course of a day, it won't be worth doing much more on it. If gmail or my smtp server limit the number of 20MB attachments I can send within a reasonable period of time, the prior parts of this project will not be worth developing further as means toward an archive/backup end.

James