baslinux - Re: [BL] use your gmail acct for archiving/backup

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] use your gmail acct for archiving/backup
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 19:22:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007, Steven wrote:

Then how do you upload your files? Doesn't that
use SMTP? Or am I missing something?

You mail them through whatever smtp server you have rights to use. I personally have a choice of 3 (if I include gmail's, which I don't use, as I said).

Not in my country. I have used three different
ISPs here and none of them require authentication
for SMTP. Of course, those SMTP servers only work
for subscribers logging on the ISP.

I've had one ISP in the last 4 years that's used this scheme (no authentication because your IP tells their smtp server that you are their customer). Wouldn't it be possible to spoof one's IP though, and so gain access to an smtp server you otherwise wouldn't be allowed to use? At any rate, here you provide a scenario on which gmail's smtp server would not be used in order to mail your split-up archive files to your gmail account: you would just use your ISP's smtp server to mail them off to yourself at gmail.

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater, are you?

Not sure what you're getting at here. But for BL users who may want/need an authenticating smtp utility, Sindi (as she tells us) has provided the msmtp binary that Karolis compiled. That may well gain BL users the capability to use gmail's smtp servers, should they desire to do so.

James