baslinux - Re: [BL] use your gmail acct for archiving/backup

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] use your gmail acct for archiving/backup
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 17:46:11 +0000 (UTC)

But it seems most other smtp servers require authentication these
days, too, so even if you used some other, the authentication problem
might still apply. That's nothing peculiar to this archiving/backup
scenario though, but is a more a generic mail-sending problem users might
encounter. I think Sindi confronted this problem at some point not long
ago, didn't she? If you're looking for any solution, you might want to see
what Freesco has come up with. It's a one-floppy firewall/router distro
that recently implemented smtp authentication somehow.

msmtp - David M compiled a uclibc version, I did a non encrypting glibc2.2.5 version posted at my site. You need to edit the config file. You can send a prewritten file, or type on the command line. See the archives. Karolis figured out how to send attachments encoded base64.
The executable (glibc) is only about 60K.
James