baslinux - Re: [BL] use your gmail acct for archiving/backup

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] use your gmail acct for archiving/backup
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:42:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007, Steven wrote:

So, by adding split to BL, one could at least use it to
tar a directory, split the tarred file, then send the
pieces off to a gmail account, right?

No. The email client in BL3 does not do SMTP authentication.
Gmail requires authentication.

I personally do not use gmail's smtp server. It automatically overwrites the "from" field with your gmail address, which is not what I'm looking for. But it seems most other smtp servers require authentication these days, too, so even if you used some other, the authentication problem might still apply. That's nothing peculiar to this archiving/backup scenario though, but is a more a generic mail-sending problem users might encounter. I think Sindi confronted this problem at some point not long ago, didn't she? If you're looking for any solution, you might want to see what Freesco has come up with. It's a one-floppy firewall/router distro that recently implemented smtp authentication somehow.

James