baslinux - Re: [BL] antiword 0.37 and fbshot screen grabber for framebuffer

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] antiword 0.37 and fbshot screen grabber for framebuffer
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 01:14:36 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Karolis wrote:

Why won't cat or less let you display upper ASCII?

Try less -r. It should display upper ascii, but am not absolutely
sure.

According to: man less
-----------------------
There are three types of characters in the input file:

normal characters
can be displayed directly to the screen.

control characters
should not be displayed directly, but are expected
to be found in ordinary text files (such as
backspace and tab).

binary characters
should not be displayed directly and are not
expected to be found in text files.

A "character set" is simply specifies which characters
are to be considered normal, control, and binary. The
LESSCHARSET environment variable may be used to select
a character set. Possible values for LESSCHARSET are:

ascii
BS, TAB, NL, CR, and formfeed are control characters,
all chars with values between 32 and 126 are normal,
and all others are binary.

iso8859
Selects an ISO 8859 character set. This is the
same as ASCII, except characters between 160 and
255 are treated as normal characters.

This charset does not work with antiword - the 'e's are all missing.
koi-8 and cp866 don't include all Serbian and Macedonian characters.

So for Macedonian I had to use Windows cp1251 which is not listed here.
Nor did cp1251.f16 come with Slackware 7.1 - we designed our own (which looks much nicer than the iso05.f16 - and we also designed a nicer 8859-5). Do later linuxes accept the existence of Windows charsets?
I could not even find one for DOS.

latin1
Same as iso8859.

dos
Selects a character set appropriate for MS-DOS.

Which DOS charset? cp866?

ebcdic
Selects an EBCDIC character set.

koi8-r
Selects a Russian character set.

utf-8
Selects the UTF-8 encoding of the ISO 10646
character set.

Control and binary characters are displayed in standout
(reverse video).

Is there some command for changing the screen to white on black before capturing it?

a normal printable character. Otherwise, the character is
displayed as a hex number in angle brackets.

That is the default for Macedonian characters.

If we ever get the paper feeds working on the ljet 5/6 printers I will try Christo's downloadable printer fonts for Cyrillic instead of printing screenfonts bitmapped.

Thanks, Sindi