baslinux - Re: [BL] Indaudio miscellany

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Indaudio miscellany
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:15:32 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:02:16 +0000 (UTC)
baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

> >> Individual sound patch files for use with timidity can be downloaded from
> >> http://freepats.opensrc.org/freepats/Tone_000/
> >> or you can download their set of patches (25MB):
> >> http://freepats.opensrc.org/freepats-20060219.tar.bz (see the freepats
> >> directory for the .cfg file)
> >>
> >> Most of these are the same size as the GUS patches that Ron recommended,
> >
> > I recommended the freepats-20060219, but in the timidity package I
> > included a smaller set of patches in the interests of keeping down the
> > size.
>

> I recalled (incorrectly?) that you did not know of any set of individually
> downloadable patches, just the entire package.

That is true, I didn't. And once I got hold of a reasonable complete set,
I didn't bother anymore with individual patches, except where they might be
of better quality - and I have found few that are.

> Your timidity package is great! I was unable (in 30 min) to even figure
> out what to download for timidity for Windows for a friend. (Got
> Wingroove, which I hope sounds a bit better than Windows media player).

I have Wingroove for Win3.1, but I am not impressed with the patch set
that comes with it.

> He can now listen to the midi versions of mutopiaproject.org sheet music
> before downloading and printing it. (We also 'fixed' the speakers by
> plugging them in).

Often the best way to make speakers work. :)

> >> You can probably replace any individual existing .pat file without
> >> changing the .cfg file by renaming it to the name of the old file.
> >
> > Yes, although you may find it safer to comment out the patch that is
> > being replaced, and add a new line for the new patch - just in case it
> > turns out to have some unexpected (and unwanted) audible foibles. It
> > happens sometimes.
>
> I ended up renaming the old ones to -old and symlinking the new ones to
> the old names.

That seems to be a long way around, but I guess it depends on what you are
most familiar with.

Regards,
Ron

--