baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera works in BasicLinux 3.50

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera works in BasicLinux 3.50
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 17:47:45 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> Is there some reason 2.2.5 would not work as well?

I haven't a clue. The recommended library is 2.3.1
and I know that works.

> This is a large package.

I don't think 1mb is excessive. IIRC the 2.3.1
libraries are actually smaller than 2.2.5

> Could you check whether just the libraries
> listed by ldd opera are adequate?

As I've said several times before, it is safer
to install complete Slackware packages rather
than guessing which files you need. It is easy
to get things wrong and waste hours (days?)
trying to figure out the problem.

I realize you like to keep things small (so
you really should be using links2 for graphical
browsing). But if you want to use Opera (or
other fancy glibc2 application), then you are
going to have to live with some bloat. I'm
sure there are many unnessary files in Opera
that you could delete, but you'd be on a fool's
errand trying to find them by trial and error.

> Do you really need all of it or just libXext,
> libICE and libSM?

I recommend you install the entire package.