baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera works in BasicLinux 3.50

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera works in BasicLinux 3.50
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 13:52:42 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

Is there some reason 2.2.5 would not work as well?

It worked fine once I added ldconfig that was not libc5.
I thought ldconfig was only used to make symlinks, which I had made manually. SW81 has a roughly 400K static ldconfig.

I haven't a clue. The recommended library is 2.3.1
and I know that works.

Recommended for which version of Opera? Version 8.0 required at least 2.2.25. 9.02 did not work with 2.2.25. I may have to use 2.3.1instead for 9.20 in BL3. It should not affect compiling for libc5.

How would I compile for libc5 in a BL3 to which I added glibc-solibs?
Do I need to add some flag telling gcc which libc to use?

This is a large package.

I don't think 1mb is excessive. IIRC the 2.3.1
libraries are actually smaller than 2.2.5

I was talking about the package, relative to the libc itself.
2.2.5 glibc is about 1.2MB. What size is 2.3.1?
Most of the rest of the package is not needed.

Could you check whether just the libraries
listed by ldd opera are adequate?

As I've said several times before, it is safer
to install complete Slackware packages rather
than guessing which files you need. It is easy
to get things wrong and waste hours (days?)
trying to figure out the problem.

Months in my case. The libraries were adequate, but I needed ldconfig. But now I have something that is smaller and works as well. It took you more than days to put together BL3 and solve the problem of making it smaller. That is why I like it so much, it does not contain irrelevant files.

I realize you like to keep things small (so
you really should be using links2 for graphical
browsing). But if you want to use Opera (or
other fancy glibc2 application), then you are
going to have to live with some bloat. I'm
sure there are many unnessary files in Opera
that you could delete, but you'd be on a fool's
errand trying to find them by trial and error.

I use Opera when all else fails (javascript for instance) Normally I use lynx, with links as a downloader to see frames/tables. But other people want Opera.

Do you really need all of it or just libXext,
libICE and libSM?

I recommend you install the entire package.

I did not need to. Opera does not use the other libraries. I will add whatever else Abiword requires. The people I am putting this together for will come back to me if they need any other applications. They don't always have a spare partition or want to risk shrinking their FAT32 partition so I want something that fits in a 50MB loop file, or at least in 100MB. Lots of people just want a browser and email (included in Opera if you do not want webmail) and a wordprocessor that prints. We have five HP500 series to give away. A friend's student thinks he needs a faster computer for the internet so I offered to make his faster.