baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 install

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 install
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 12:50:01 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Salve a tutti,
I could not startx on Bl3.50 dos version.

......... F8 keeps windows from
booting, but you may also need to hit F5 (I don't know in what order). Do
you have a config.sys file with himem.sys in it?

I have no himem.sys in config.sys file.
I tried to boot from Dos this way: F8 and, according to your hint changing
bootgui=1 to bootgui=0 in msdos.sys.

Changing bootgui to 0 is INSTEAD OF hitting F8 while booting. It will then boot to DOS every time, instead of Windows. You can type win for Windows after that. Boot (to DOS) while hitting F5, to prevent config.sys from loading, in case it is putting on a TSR program that interferes with Xvesa. You will get a message 'bypassing system files'.

Mouse drivers or video drivers (univesa, scitech display doctor) or smartdrive (I think) can also interfere with Xvesa. We had one computer that would not work with Xvesa after loading himem.sys, but it would not boot to DOS without loading himem.sys (Compaq server). We had the choice there of lilo, or a non-Xvesa X server.

Lilo is on MBR: now when booting I may choose win98 or delilinux.
If you changed bootgui to 0, it may boot to DOS not win98.

Sindi

Regards,
Giuseppe