baslinux - [BL] (no subject)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To:
  • Subject: [BL] (no subject)
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:08:52 +1100 (EST)

baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
From: rsimmons AT melbpc.org.au
Subject: Thinkpad 365E - newbie qustion
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 00:08:52 GMT

I attempted to post this last Friday: but somehow it apparently did not make
it to the list.( :-(

(Perhaps because I sent it from my Broadband address and the server did not
recognise me as a member?)

I shall be most grateful for any help.

I have installed BL3.4 to my aged thinkpad, but cannot get X working.

According to W95 I have a :
Chips & Tech Accelerator
Chiptype F65545 Rev 2
DAC type ATT or clone
Memory 1 Meg.
Standard VGA 640x480

I have googled the list archives but come up only with the understanding that
Chips & Tech graphic chips are chancy with BL. Does anyone know whether this
one might work, and if so how?

xinit--help --> "xinit: No such file or Directory (errno2): no server "X" in
PATH"
- and it's right!: No "X" entry exists in /usr/X11R6/bin
another message appears after a pause:
"X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno=111 giving up.

I have also tried (and failed) to use the no-vesa add-on.

My knowledge of X is rudimentary: so I must ask helpful people to be patient
with
me.

Message sent using MelbPC WebMail Server