baslinux - Re: [BL] (no subject)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] (no subject)
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:24:58 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Roger wrote:

> I am running fs in a dos partition,

Try booting with a naked DOS: no autoexec.bat
and no config.sys. A boot floppy is fine.
Some of the things in autoexec.bat and config.sys
can interfere with Xvesa.

> > Did you execute:
> > ------
> > startx
> > ------
> > If so, what happened? Please tell us step-by-step.
> > Don't leave anything out.
>
> Alas! It is simply told!: I immediately get a blank
> screen and can only regain control by cntrl-alt-del.

Is that everything? Didn't it first ask you to choose
the resolution, the mouse port and the number of buttons
on the mouse? If so, what choices did you make?

> Is there anything else diagnostic I can do?

Most important: see what happens with naked DOS.
If startx doesn't work with naked DOS, please make
note of any differences (if any) in the behavior
of startx, and send us a copy of what you have in
/etc/Xconfig

of the details.