baslinux - Re: [BL] Regarding multi-user setup in BL3.40

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Regarding multi-user setup in BL3.40
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 00:05:03 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

I am setting up BL3 for friends to use online with Opera.
I have never had problems with security as root, but
running as user makes it even more secure.

Not if you make all executables, devices and directories
writeable by non-root users. A non-root account is more
secure is because it is limited in what it can do. When
you remove those limits, you remove the security.

Thanks. I will only make executable or read/write by user the files actually needed by a particular user to dial, run X and rxvt, and use Opera. suid Xvesa and eznet.

Opera is supposedly rather buggy.

Says who? I use Opera often (without java, flash, etc.)
and it works fine. However, it's a different story with
the Opera plugins -- I recommend not using them.

Opera is said to have security bugs involving buffer overruns.
Not that I have ever had any problems with it in that regard.

I will wait for the beta 3.50 before fixing libX problems.