baslinux - Re: [BL] Bl related hompage

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Bl related hompage
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 18:13:36 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, mikkel meinike wrote:

Lee Forrest wrote:

Is using svga actually smaller than using tinyX (kdrive)
servers?

I have not hired about tinyX (kdrive) before. BL3 comes with xvesa and
the wouldn't work with my machine (the Compaq AVGA chip) then I tried
with XSVGA and that wouldn't work ether, Then I had to use the VGA16
server and that worked, but in compare to that the SVGAlib is much
better.

/Mikkel

Delilinux links2 can run in either X or svgalib mode.
Without a window manager (in 640x480x32K).

Xvesa plus links2 -g: %MEM 0.4 Xvesa 0.9 links2

non-X (svgalib) links2 -g: %MEM 1.2 links2 For 8-bit color it is 1.1 links2

Lower resolutions/color depths use less memory.

BL3 links2 only runs in X.

Total memory is 256M, so links2 8-bit in svgalib uses 2.8MB, and
in Xvesa (32K color depth) 3.3MB. .5MB difference. On a computer with 3-5MB RAM this might make a difference, but DOS would be better there anyway. I can run lynx with a viewer in 3MB RAM.

Xvesa and xfbdev don't work in 256 colors - do the other tinyX servers?

We have a 486 Compaq laptop that only does up to 256 colors. It works with X SVGA (with special modelines) and svgalib but Xvesa only finds four colors (not 4-bit).

svgalib does not work with all video chips, but it was much easier to set up than X_SVGA with special modelines. Some cards/chips will work with chipset VGA when chipset VESA fails. That is what BL1 is based on (libvga 4-bit 640x480).

Abiword unfortunately insists on at least 256 colors. Is there an svgalib wordprocessor?