baslinux - [BL] BL2 X server for matrox with Xwrapper and font paths

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL2 X server for matrox with Xwrapper and font paths
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 21:02:32 +0000 (UTC)

To use X as 'user' you either have to run the server with root privileges (chmod +s) or use startx, Xwrapper and /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config with the line

allow_users=console

to prevent logins from remote users.

These are all tiny files (under 4K). Look in xbin.tgz.

My newer Matrox card does not work with the SVGA server (it scrambled things) but did start x for 'user' this way.

Where/how do I get a non-TinyX mga X server for BL2? Would I need to compile it myself?

The framebuffer server xvfb 'failed to set default font path' and 'could not open default font fixed.'

It is looking for misc Speedo Type1 75dpi and 100dpi

I installed xf100.tgz and xfnts.tgz

I have four FontPath lines in XF86Config: misc Type1 100dpi 75dpi. I have misc and 75dpi and 100dpi and PEX directories. (Do I need them all?)

Xvesa and xfbdev work with this card but I was told they are security risks when used SUID root, which is required for 'user'.

I am trying to run my BL2 securely, as 'user'.