baslinux - Re: [BL] The Boundaries of BasicLinux 54

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] The Boundaries of BasicLinux 54
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 15:26:39 +0000

On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 02:09:30PM +0100, mikkel meinike wrote:
> > True, but that takes a _lot_ of time and work, not just to do
> > it, but to learn how to do it. Which was one of my points: Not
> > everyone is willing or able to take it quite that far.
>
> Yes it has taken me a very long time to[o.]
>
> > I'm pretty good with linux. I've done Linux From Scratch (a
> > disappointment, actually, most of it is done for you) and have 4
> > different OSes on this computer and am fairly fluent in bash. But
> > Steven and Sindi leave me in the dust on a regular basis.
>
> You mean you are good in setting up the computer but when it comes to
> normal everyday usages you are less experienced. Have I got that
> right?

Kind of half and half. I can do both with a reasonable degree of
competence.

> For me it have bin like that. I think for 3 years anything I
> did with Linux was setup and setup again. It is first now that I
> really use Linux to do things.
>
> I can understand the people who don't want to go through that. I don't
> really know why I do, but it gives me some good joy and save me a lot
> of money.

I hear that the new windows, "vista", costs $400 for the lowest
worthwhile version (one above "home"). And that would be the bare
beginnings of the expenses involved.

Ever listen to the Kim Komando Show? (She's a windows guru with
a radio show and website.) Apparently, windows runners spend
half their time and money ineffectively dealing with spyware and
viruses and worms and trojans.

I think that the same companies that provide the software that is
supposed to protect people from these things are the ones that
create them in the first place.

And windows dutifully produces OS after OS that any teenager with
too much time on his hands can break into.

It's an excellent scam.

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful