baslinux - Re: [BL] The Boundaries of BasicLinux

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] The Boundaries of BasicLinux
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 17:06:19 +0000

On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 12:04:37PM +0100, mikkel meinike wrote:
> Well you got some good points here. It is however surprising how many
> things you can do if you focus on the task say watch video, do
> advanced doc setting, go on Internet and so on

Indeed.

> in stead of going for a
> specific Windows-like look and functionality, or it is surprising haw
> much energy is used in given a certain feel, look and ease to the
> users experience when making a specific task.

A very astute observation. That is at the heart of much of the bloat I
was referring to.

A lot of that is because most people aren't willing to learn how to
type. They want to do it all with a mouse and so must have something
like KDE.

And they want the screen to always be a pretty picture. Eye candy.

Kind of like sticking all the pipes and wires inside a wall covered with
nice wallpaper and pictures, so that they can pretend the pipes and wires
don't exist.

That sound right? I feel like I'm on the right track.

> Or maybe let me say it
> one more time in an other way. It is surprising how much you can do
> with a small and old computer if you choose to do some more work with
> your one bran.

True, but that takes a _lot_ of time and work, not just to do
it, but to learn how to do it. Which was one of my points: Not
everyone is willing or able to take it quite that far.

You can be a very competent linux runner without having the
skills needed to make an old computer/OS do what a modern
computer/OS will do.

I'm pretty good with linux. I've done Linux From Scratch (a
disappointment, actually, most of it is done for you) and have 4
different OSes on this computer and am fairly fluent in bash. But
Steven and Sindi leave me in the dust on a regular basis.

Others here only manage to pull that off once a week or so :-0

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru