baslinux - Re: [BL] Manual for Sylpheed

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Manual for Sylpheed
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 16:21:49 +1030

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 21:59:30 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:

>> The problems I encountered with the version you sent me were
>> compounded by the fact that I had to unzip it on the W98
>> computer, then transfer it by floppy disk to this computer for
>> copying into BL.

> Get gunzip from Slackware 4.0. To see what files are where, find

gunzip is already in the system. And so is unzip. But after
copying the file manual.zip to / I tried the following:

/<#>gunzip manual.zip
gunzip: Invalid extension
/<#>unzip manual.zip
unzip: Unsupported compression method 0

I had to locate and download a Windows unzip utility and install it on
the W98 computer to unzip the file with the long filenames intact.

>> Although W98 showed the files on the floppy disk with their long
>> filenames, mc displayed only their DOS-style short names, once
>> the floppy disk was mounted.

> If you copy files to DOS floppy disks they get truncated to DOS file

But I did NOT copy the files to the floppy!

I unzipped manual.zip on the floppy with W98, which then showed
the long filenames of these files while they were resident on the
floppy --- I thought I made that clear in my previous message.

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v