baslinux - Re: [BL] Manual for Sylpheed

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Manual for Sylpheed
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 21:59:30 +0000 (UTC)

Look for sylpheed_manual.tgz

Well done, Ron!

The problems I encountered with the version you sent me were
compounded by the fact that I had to unzip it on the W98
computer, then transfer it by floppy disk to this computer for
copying into BL.

Get gunzip from Slackware 4.0. To see what files are where, find MANIFEST.gz and read it with zless. There is probably a gunzip.tgz package. YOu can install the whole package or unpackage it and copy over only that file. Sometimes a program has 'dependencies', meaning in needs certain libraries. ldd gunzip shows the dependencies and whether they are missing. It only needs two libraries that you already have.

Copy the package to /tmp and type tar -zxvf to unpackage it (like pkunzip -d, into subdirectories). Then find -name gunzip to see what subdirectory it ended up in (in this case ./bin). cd bin and then cp gunzip /bin - this puts it in the /bin directory. ./bin is /tmp/bin, /bin is the main directory for programs. Then you can gunzip sylpheed_manual.gz and copy it to some place you can find it.

Although W98 showed the files on the floppy disk with their long
filenames, mc displayed only their DOS-style short names, once
the floppy disk was mounted.

If you copy files to DOS floppy disks they get truncated to DOS file names. The DOS floppy disks are FAT16 and cannot handle long file names. Same problem using a DOS-formatted USB memory stick. To avoid this, you can create a .tgz package of all the files. If they are in subdirectory /tmp/sylpheed cd there and type
tar -zcvf sylpheed.tgz *

This makes a package of all the files. Copy it to floppy disk (assuming it will fit on one disk, of course) and then to where you want the files to end up, and tar -zxvf sylpheed.tgz.

After I copied the files to the recommended subdirectory, I had to
use mc to rename every one of them with their long filenames.

Another thing I have noticed with mc is that it can't find links
to allow viewing (F3) of an html file.

It may not be set up to use links. Read the manual if you can find it.

I have a lot to learn about BL. If I knew more I could probably sort
these things out for myself rather than ask other people all time for
the answers.

The book should help a lot.

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v