baslinux - Re: [BL] USB kernel and CD burning

  • From: Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB kernel and CD burning
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 12:10:26

On 5 Jan 07 at 20:48, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

>>Does David's 2.4.31 kernel work to burn CDs? Use HIS modules, not mine,
>>they are not interchangeable because he compiled using a different glibc.

Sindi, David,

today I found some time to test your 2.4.31 kernels with my CD burner.
In order to get it to work with the 2.2.16 kernel I used to load
these modules:

insmod ide-cd ignore=hdc
insmod scsi_mod
insmod sg
insmod sr_mod
insmod loop
insmod ide-scsi

With David's kernel I succeeded after loading only three of them:

insmod sg
insmod sr_mod
insmod ide-scsi

With Sindi's new 8MB-RAM kernel I could not use David's modules
(segmentation fault). In Sindi's nopcmcia module packet these
modules are not included.

On a hard disk installation it would be probably satifying to use
David's (much bigger) kernel. For a RAM-disk version, however, this
will not be possible, because it does not support the 8MB initrd
file.

Sindi, did you compile the modules yourself or could I find them in
a later Slackware distribution? Or would it be easier to include
the SCSI driver support into the l8 kernel?

Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov