baslinux - Re: [BL] I have done a foolish thing...

  • From: marcumbill AT bellsouth.net (Bill Marcum)
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] I have done a foolish thing...
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 04:22:31 -0500

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 07:26:23PM +1030, Greg Mayman wrote:
> 8. I deleted _all_ drives and partitions from that drive, and set
> it up as before, with one 8Gb primary partition, then reformatted
> it and XXCOPYed all the stuff from the backup disk. But on
> booting, it still took me into Caldera Linux --- which naturally
> wasn't there, so it crashed!
>
> 9. I booted from a floppy -- at least that still works -- and
> tried to run fips.exe from the CD-ROM to set the thing up for
> multiple boots. But it told me the disk was unusable: "unknown
> type: 0CH. Only DOS partitions may be used (types 4 or 6)."

That must have been a very old floppy, as it doesn't recognize FAT32
partitions (any DOS/Win9x partition larger than 2 GB). You can download
a Win98 boot floppy from http://bootdisk.com. Boot from the floppy and
type "fdisk /mbr".

--
Bilbo's First Law:
You cannot count friends that are all packed up in barrels.