baslinux - Re: [BL] USB kernel and CD burning

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB kernel and CD burning
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 17:20:27 +0000 (UTC)

If you have broadband you really should get the kernel source code and then we can just experiment with different configs without my needing to do the compiling and uploading. If you have a faster computer you will compile faster than I do. I upload at 2K/sec. I am not complaining, it just seems it would be more efficient if you have a faster computer, and broadband to get the source code, to compile on your computer.

It does not take long to change the config. Instead of doing 'make config' I cheat by editing with pico, then run 'make config' and hold down the enter key. This fixes any problems I created while editing (in case making one change requires changing something else).

Unpackage kernel in /usr/src/linux-2.4.31 and symlink to /usr/src/linux

make config
make clean
make dep
make bzImage - the new kernel.

make modules (if you want something I did not already make)

It takes me about 10 minutes to do all this at 600MHz (most of that is waiting for the kernel to compile).

Uploading the kernel is another 5 minutes. Not a problem, just seems like you ought to learn how to do this so you can make other changes later.
I thought it would be much more difficult. It helps to start with a known working config and change one piece at a time. I used David's config.