baslinux - Re: [BL] USB kernel and CD burning

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB kernel and CD burning
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 22:59:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007, Christof Lange wrote:

On 5 Jan 07 at 17:15, keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org wrote:

I am using the cdrecord from Slackware 8.1 (or maybe it is the cdread
from Slackware 8.1 - I needed something newer to deal with encrypted music
CDs). They work with kernel 2.2.16 and my 2.4.31 sm kernel, for me.

The error messages do not complain about cdrecord but SCSI driver
(whatever this may be).

scsi_mod is the main scsi driver - is this the one that gives the message?

sr_mod is for CD-ROM drives
sg is general scsi device
sd_mod is scsi disk (which the USB flash drive emulates)

The CD-burners use drivers that are scsi-based even though the burners are ide. The emulation is done with ide-scsi module. Because someone originally wrote the burner support for SCSI drives and simply patched it to work with IDE instead. I think in newer kernels they fixed this.

USB storage seems to be actual scsi. The DOS aspidos5.sys driver
is a scsi driver too.

So first I shall have a look at the modules
and kernels. Before I test your experimental kernels, I will probably
try to fix my broken CD-ROM support. Without mounting CDs I
will not be able to do anything on that computer.

It does not work with 2.2.16 either? Or 2.2.26?
Does the burner work with some other operating system? Can you try this first with a non-burning CD-ROM drive and then add the scsi parts?

I know very little about CD burning, just what I learned from you.

I just discovered the chapter of the BL2 FAQ on CD burning that
I had contributed those days. I applied a CD-Write Howto without
knowing what I did, and had luck. I am afraid that I have not enough
knowledge to tell you what is wrong with the l8 kernel.

Does David's 2.4.31 kernel work to burn CDs? Use HIS modules, not mine,
they are not interchangeable because he compiled using a different glibc.

Although David's USB floppy image was my starting point, his kernel
does not work with my RAM disks (does not load usbcore module).

You don't need the modules with his kernel, they are built in, I think, which means if you try to insert usbcore it may crash instead.
Try it again. I think you need to insert the three CD-ROM modules.

We will figure this out eventually.

May be. I aggree that it is too early to give up.

Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov