baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 03:17:58 +0000 (UTC)

I don't understand the editor. The backspace acts like
forward-delete.

I'm using the Sylpheed editor right now (as I type this).
The backspace acts exactly like a backspace should.
Something is wrong with your setup. We should be able
to fix it.

Sounds like maybe he has one of those non-standard keyboards (84-key or however many they

Look for xmodmap.84 at my site and I may have also posted instructions in blfiles.htm for using it. It goes in .xinitrc and fixes the backspace problem that we have with many of our keyboards, not just the 84-key variety. But then only one set of the arrow keys works on a standard keyboard. Someone else found a simpler way to remap the keyboard, more recnelty.

have) and that some key remapping may be required. Sindi has some experience
with this. But
whether Greg will have the patience to diagnose the problem and apply the fix
remains to be
seen. He might just want to stick with DOS (if it can do everything he needs
to do with his
computer) or find an older version of Windows to install, which would be a
relatively less
painful transition.

James