baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT ausreg.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 13:30:42 +1100

Hi Greg,

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 08:17:23 +1030
"Greg Mayman" <gmone AT tpg.com.au> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 14:26:11 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:
>
> > Please let me know if Opera 9 works with glibc 2.2.5. The one I
> > downloaded needed 3.2.3. You need to choose carefully.
>
> Sorry, you've completely baffled me there.
>
> I'll forget about Opera until I understand a bit more.

Very wise !

For Opera you will need a hard disk install as well as adding some extra
libraries.
This is not applicable to someone getting a first look at Linux with a loop
install.

> > We in the US pay per month, not per hour.
>
> As it is with almost all the ISPs here.
> But paying by the hour with this ISP is cheaper, if I keep my usage down.
> I have a by-the-month account with another ISP for when I want to make
> longer connections, but most people know the email address to the hourly
> rate one, and it's too much trouble to get all of them to change.

I have been in a similar position - in fact I still have four
pay-by-the-hour ISP accounts each with several email addresses. So, in
practice, I use only the paid-for by the month ISP to log on to the internet,
but I can access each and every one of my other email accounts (by POP3/SMTP)
from the one connection, both in DOS (Arachne) and in BasicLinux (Sylpheed).

That way I don't use up any extra hours that I would have to pay for, but
I can still make full use of the various mail servers.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke