baslinux - Re: [BL] USB devices

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB devices
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 21:19:23 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007, Christof Lange wrote:

On 4 Jan 07 at 16:51, keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org wrote:

Sindi just uploaded http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/bzimagl8.431
About 630K.

Christof has just downloaded and tested it with the 4MB RAM drive and
it seems to work. Test with teh 8MB RAM are without success so
far. Obviously because I am not yet able to create a clean initrd.gz
file.

Do you know how to alter initrd.gz with gunzip and then mount -o loop initrd /mnt?

Same as la except:
Removed hermes and joliet and wireless support (but left networking and
parport and ppp)

Is joliet something that will be needed for CDs?

Made the cd-rom drivers built-in instead of modular.

Running the script to load them anyway fortunately does not crash the
system.

Added all the scsi modules needed for CD-R's and now it works with:
scsi_mod, sc_mod (for USB-storage), sr_mod, sg, ide-scsi, except that on one
of two computers only BL2 works with ide-scsi and BL3 segfaults. BL3 also
complains about the internal hdd (IDE zip drive) during boot. We had the
same problem of segfault on one other computer, but I do not recall if it
had a zip drive. Why would BL2 work better with ide-scsi (this kernel on
computer with zip drive) and usbcore (sm kernel on a computer with onboard
video using system RAM - sm kernel had hotplug=n and BL3 gave an error
message about hotplug)?

I am happy to leave the test with BL3 environments to others.

Changed RAMdisk size to 8192 from 4096.

If this works, I can recompile with all but ide-scsi built-in, or should I
build that in also? scsi_mod makes the kernel much larger but you need it
for CD burning and USB storage.

If ide-scsi is built in, the CD burner cannot be used as hd, only sd.

As soon as I get a working 8MB RAM disk, I will try to burn a CD.

In DOS two of the sticks cannot be loaded with the common drivers.
And only _one_ USB device can be loaded at the same time, that
means in each boot session.

You tried to plug in two USB devices at the same time?
I know you need to reboot whenever you plug in a device.

The only reason why after more than one year I get involved into
Linux again is that I want to look at more than one device at the
same time and exchange them without rebooting. The two scripts I sent
to the BL list work as follows:

- insert one or two devices
- type just u: in order to mount the devices
- use the devices in mc
- type :u or :u X in order to mount one or both devices
- exchange one or both devices
- type u: in order to mount the attached devices

etc.

This way you can use up to five different devices. You can plug
them in plug them out, use others in between and plug them in
for a second time. They will always be mounted at the same mount
point.

Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov