baslinux - Re: [BL] USB devices

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB devices
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 10:51:53 -0600

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 04:43:47PM +0000, Christof Lange wrote:

> automatic mounting. I wonder whether scripts of this kind have not
> been written by others some 10 years ago? Is there a location for
> this stuff on the web?

I think the problems you're seeing in dealing with USB devices were
specifically in mind
with the development of udev, and before that, of devfs. All previous ways of
dealing with
hotplugging of USB (and other block) devices were really ugly kludges. The
development of a
dynamic file system and associated auto-creation of nodes and mount points
was meant to be a
more elegant solution. Of course udev and devfs were also meant to clean up
the /dev
directory, which was getting cluttered with more and more device names, over
95% of which
were never even in use in any given system. But dealing dynamically with
block devices was
also a major concern, so far as I understand. Maybe by looking into the
histories of devfs
and udev you'll find out how these things were dealt with a decade ago?

James