baslinux - Re: [BL] USB devices

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB devices
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 16:51:43 +0000 (UTC)

BTW: I have successfully tested Sindi's la kernel and RAM disk with
a Samsung digital camera. It works perfectly, in the same way as most
of the memory sticks (only one of them seems to be incompatible).

Sindi just uploaded http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/bzimagl8.431
About 630K.

Same as la except:
Removed hermes and joliet and wireless support (but left networking and parport and ppp)

Made the cd-rom drivers built-in instead of modular.

Added all the scsi modules needed for CD-R's and now it works with: scsi_mod, sc_mod (for USB-storage), sr_mod, sg, ide-scsi, except that on one of two computers only BL2 works with ide-scsi and BL3 segfaults. BL3 also complains about the internal hdd (IDE zip drive) during boot. We had the same problem of segfault on one other computer, but I do not recall if it had a zip drive. Why would BL2 work better with ide-scsi (this kernel on computer with zip drive) and usbcore (sm kernel on a computer with onboard video using system RAM - sm kernel had hotplug=n and BL3 gave an error message about hotplug)?

Left hotplug=Y, which was not needed for BL2 but seems to be needed for BL3, and it inserts usbcore, uhci and usb-storage on both computers here (one of them is 1.4GHz).

Changed RAMdisk size to 8192 from 4096.

If this works, I can recompile with all but ide-scsi built-in, or should I build that in also? scsi_mod makes the kernel much larger but you need it for CD burning and USB storage.

If ide-scsi is built in, the CD burner cannot be used as hd, only sd.

In DOS two of the sticks cannot be loaded with the common drivers.
And only _one_ USB device can be loaded at the same time, that
means in each boot session.

You tried to plug in two USB devices at the same time?
I know you need to reboot whenever you plug in a device.

We have one SM card reader that works with linux but not DOS. Dos works with the CF reader and camera and with our memory sticks.

Win98 will do USB storage if you run nusb23e.exe, which contains a long list of information about various devices. Probably the DOS drivers are not up to date.