baslinux - Re: [BL] USB devices

  • From: Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB devices
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 21:17:55

On 4 Jan 07 at 10:51, jamtat AT mailsnare.net wrote:

>> automatic mounting. I wonder whether scripts of this kind have not
>> been written by others some 10 years ago? Is there a location for
>> this stuff on the web?
>
>I think the problems you're seeing in dealing with USB devices were
>specifically in mind with the development of udev, and before that, of
>devfs. All previous ways of dealing with hotplugging of USB (and other
>block) devices were really ugly kludges. The development of a dynamic file
>system and associated auto-creation of nodes and mount points was meant to
>be a more elegant solution. Of course udev and devfs were also meant to
>clean up the /dev directory, which was getting cluttered with more and more
>device names, over 95% of which were never even in use in any given system.
>But dealing dynamically with block devices was also a major concern, so far
>as I understand. Maybe by looking into the histories of devfs and udev
>you'll find out how these things were dealt with a decade ago?

Thank you for your answer, James. This seems to indicate that Linux
today is something very different from what BL is about. What is udev
and devfs? At which version of Slackware have these been introduced.
Do Linux users in our days still have to mount devices?

Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov