baslinux - Re: [BL] Can BL copy Win98?

  • From: Karolis Lyvens <karolisl AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Can BL copy Win98?
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 22:29:17 +0200

On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 11:05:03PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
> The drive is no longer bootable (it booted in DOS before this). It is
> active.
>
> My neighbor said I need to create a master boot record for Windows.
>
> Is there a linux utility to create or correct the MBR? I found a couple
> for Windows ($20-100 shareware, 6MB download, and I don't even HAVE
> Windows working on this computer).

If you need to clone MBR from hda to hdc (there's only one MBR in whole
disk, so, AFAIK, you don't need partition number (hda1, hdc1)), then
the command is:

--
dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc bs=512 count=1
--

Or, if you need to create/restore (Windows) MRB, then try the following
command from, for example, Win98 boot floppy:

--
fdisk /mbr
--

(I think that you'll need this command because you'll need Windows MBR)