baslinux - Re: [BL] Can BL copy Win98?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Can BL copy Win98?
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 00:52:57 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, Karolis Lyvens wrote:

On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 11:05:03PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
The drive is no longer bootable (it booted in DOS before this). It is
active.

My neighbor said I need to create a master boot record for Windows.

Is there a linux utility to create or correct the MBR? I found a couple
for Windows ($20-100 shareware, 6MB download, and I don't even HAVE
Windows working on this computer).

If you need to clone MBR from hda to hdc (there's only one MBR in whole
disk, so, AFAIK, you don't need partition number (hda1, hdc1)), then
the command is:

--
dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc bs=512 count=1

I did that and it messed up the second drive, which was a different size from the first (larger) so I had to delete the partitions with fdisk and remake and reformat. This was after copying just hda1 to hdc1, where hda1 was 325MB and the only partition, and hdc1 was 326MB and one of two partitions.

> --
Or, if you need to create/restore (Windows) MRB, then try the following
command from, for example, Win98 boot floppy:

--
fdisk /mbr
-

This did not seem to work either, because there was nothing to restore?

(I think that you'll need this command because you'll need Windows MBR)