baslinux - Re: [BL] networking from BL3 to XP

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] networking from BL3 to XP
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 13:45:07 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Unless someone knows a way to trasnfer between XP and BL3
via network cable.

Can you establish a TCP/IP network between the XP and BL3?
> If so, you can run a server on one and a client on the other. For

example, you can use an XP HTTP browser to download from httpd in BL3. Or vice versa. Does XP have any servers? ftp? httpd?
We could not find either of these, so I downloaded minihttpd.tar.gz for BL3 and pkg'ed it and went to the directory I wanted to transfer photos from on the laptop. Then started pcmcia and ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1. Then from Opera entered http://192.168.1.1 and was asked for login and password. It won't let me login without them. I will try BL2 instead (the photos are on the DOS partition).

BL2 worked even worse - 'The page cannot be displayed' with IE, and Opera could not find it either. I typed on the laptop 'mini_httpd' (with and without '-u root'), was told 'socket: Connection refused', then 'started as root without requesting chrot(), warning only', then Enter got me back the prompt. I entered http://192.168.1.1 on the address line. What did I do wrong? I had this working between BL computers once.

It would help if I knew XP - maybe the regular ethernet card is disabled since there is a wireless ethernet card. But I got to a login prompt once.

Don't forget BL3 has an smbclient package for copying to/from Windows. I can't remember if it works with XP.

It may, but the kernels I have do not. We need a 1 or 2 floppy linux with a kernel that does USB and NTFS, and also networking.

We can upload the photos from this computer to my website and then go someplace with a phone line (assuming I can find an access number for my borrowed ISP for small-town Kentucky) and try to download, or give up and use a floppy disk for file transfer.

Someone suggested burning a CD on the XP computer, but I hoped to transfer the other half of the photos to it first, via minihttpd, so we could upload them all to my website from here for safekeeping. We did not bring blank CD-ROMs. Maybe someone else on our trip will have XP with FAT32.