baslinux - Re: [BL] ADSL stuff-up (was ADSL setup)

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ADSL stuff-up (was ADSL setup)
  • Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 11:13:47 +1200

Ron Clarke wrote:

> But resolv.conf DOES get re-written when I make connection
> with the ADSL modem, both in BL2 and BL3,

That is not unexpected (if you are executing dhcp/udhcpc).
However, it should not happen if you are doing the
ifconfig/route yourself.

> all my collected DNS servers get deleted (including those
> hidden by a #) and are replaced with a single line:
>
> nameserver 192.168.1.1

I'm guessing that your ADSL hardware is running a DNS server
at that address (and/or forwarding DNS requests to the DNS
server at the ISP).

The fact that your old DNS addresses were overwritten
is not problem as long as DNS is available at 192.168.1.1.

> There seems to be an option to set static addresses.
> I can access a whole collection of "control panels"
> I have been reluctant to fiddle with any of that, because
> I really don't know what I am doing.

Fair enough. Safety first. We won't fiddle with the ADSL
config (unless that is the only way to solve the problem).

> the modem seems to be setting the same IP number to each
> computer (4) that are connected into it, including the actual
> addresses of the ethernet cards. My new (SW10) machine, for
> example, is always the same number (192.168.1.4).

Can you ping 192.168.1.4 from the misbehaving computer?

> BTW: Can you confirm that the example rc.inet1 file you
> posted previously had this exact line in it:
> hostname `cat /etc/HOSTNAME | cut -f1 -d .`
> or should that be:
> hostname `cat /etc/HOSTNAME | cat -f1 -d .`

cut is correct. However, you can simplify that line to:
-------------------
hostname MyComputer # or whatever you want to call it
-------------------

Here is my suggestion for your /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1
#! /bin/sh
PATH=/bin:/sbin:/bin/busybox

hostname MyComputer

ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 lo

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.77
route add default gw 192.168.1.1
The 77 in the ifconfig address is just an example.
Use whatever number you want (as long as no other
system on the network uses that number).

Make sure dhcp (or udhcpc) is not in your startup scripts.
Make sure netsetup is not in your startup scripts.
Check /etc/rc.d/rc.S. Check /etc/rc.d/rc.M.

Make sure the following is in /etc/rc.d/rc.S
insmod rtl8139