baslinux - Re: [BL] ADSL stuff-up (was ADSL setup)

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ADSL stuff-up (was ADSL setup)
  • Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 08:52:40 +1200

Ron Clarke wrote:

> But something keeps over-writing my configuration files.
> Including resolv.conf !!!!!!

When exactly are they being overwritten?
At system start?
At system shutdown?
When you execute dhcp?
When you execute ifconfig?
When you execute route?

> And does the data in route .... get deleted on reboot ?

Yes. Your ethernet config is not permanent.
When you reboot, insmod/ifconfig/route must
all be re-executed (that's what /etc/rc is for).

> > ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
> > route add -net 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 lo
>
> Should I put that back in the BL2 rc.inet1 ?

It definitely should be included in rc.inet1; however,
there is no point if rec.inet1 is constantly getting
overwritten.

> I am starting to wonder if the ADSL modem (which includes
> a router and runs a Windows firewall) is deliberately
> sabotaging the Linux system

It's probably not deliberate; however, it is possible
that the dhcpd server in the router is fouling up the
static network config we are trying to do. Is there
anything in the router (Windows) config to specify a
static address for the client?

> I notice in the SW10 route there is and entry to the effect:
> default mygateway1.ar7 0:0:0:0

That default route is precisely what we are trying to create
with the "route add default gw" command. However, you cannot
do that command until you can ping the specified address.

> If it turns out to be the modem that is the cause of all this,

I'm pretty sure that the ADSL hardware can be reconfigured
(using Windows) to avoid this problem (if it is in fact
the ADSL hardware that is causing the problem).

> I am starting to get a bit snakey about all this. :(

Don't worry. We just need to be methodical and figure out
exactly where the problem is occuring. insmod seems to be
working 100%. Is that right? If so, that's one potential
issue eliminated.

Your problem seems to be occuring with the ifconfig -- there
appears to be a problem establishing a good ethernet connection.
So we need to figure out where exactly the problem is. Have you
got a second computer? If so, you could try establishing an
ethernet connection to that computer (without the ADSL hardware
on the network). If that works, it will tell us that the problem
is coming from the ADSL stuff.