baslinux - Re: [BL] ADSL stuff-up (was ADSL setup)

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ADSL stuff-up (was ADSL setup)
  • Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 07:48:33 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 08:52:40 +1200
3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Ron Clarke wrote:
> >
> > But something keeps over-writing my configuration files.
> > Including resolv.conf !!!!!!
>
> When exactly are they being overwritten?

It doesn't happen until I get a response of some sort from the ADSL modem.

> At system start?
> At system shutdown?
> When you execute dhcp?
> When you execute ifconfig?
> When you execute route?
>
> > And does the data in route .... get deleted on reboot ?
>
> Yes. Your ethernet config is not permanent.
> When you reboot, insmod/ifconfig/route must
> all be re-executed (that's what /etc/rc is for).

> > > ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
> > > route add -net 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 lo
> >
> > Should I put that back in the BL2 rc.inet1 ?
>
> It definitely should be included in rc.inet1; however,
> there is no point if rec.inet1 is constantly getting
> overwritten.

I think (I hope) that I have fixed that particular problem. Might have
been something silly that I did.

But resolv.conf DOES get re-written when I make connection with the ADSL
modem, both in BL2 and BL3, all my collected DNS servers get deleted
(including those hidden by a #) and are replaced with a single line:

nameserver 192.168.1.1

> > I am starting to wonder if the ADSL modem (which includes
> > a router and runs a Windows firewall) is deliberately
> > sabotaging the Linux system
>
> It's probably not deliberate; however, it is possible
> that the dhcpd server in the router is fouling up the
> static network config we are trying to do. Is there
> anything in the router (Windows) config to specify a
> static address for the client?

There seems to be an option to set static addresses. I can access a whole
collection of "control panels" from my wife's Windows machine or from my own
SW10 machine, both using Firefox. I have been reluctant to fiddle with any of
that, because I really don't know what I am doing.

> > I notice in the SW10 route there is and entry to the effect:
> > default mygateway1.ar7 0:0:0:0
>
> That default route is precisely what we are trying to create
> with the "route add default gw" command. However, you cannot
> do that command until you can ping the specified address.
>
> > If it turns out to be the modem that is the cause of all this,
>
> I'm pretty sure that the ADSL hardware can be reconfigured
> (using Windows) to avoid this problem (if it is in fact
> the ADSL hardware that is causing the problem).
>
> > I am starting to get a bit snakey about all this. :(
>
> Don't worry. We just need to be methodical and figure out
> exactly where the problem is occuring. insmod seems to be
> working 100%. Is that right? If so, that's one potential
> issue eliminated.

Yes. insmod works just fine.

> Your problem seems to be occuring with the ifconfig -- there
> appears to be a problem establishing a good ethernet connection.
> So we need to figure out where exactly the problem is.

the ifconfig seems to be also working. And the modem seems to be setting
the same IP number to each computer (4) that are connected into it, including
the actual addresses of the ethernet cards. My new (SW10) machine, for
example, is always the same number (192.168.1.4).

> Have you got a second computer?

Yes. It has BL3 and SW10 on it, both booting from DOS.

> If so, you could try establishing an
> ethernet connection to that computer (without the ADSL hardware
> on the network). If that works, it will tell us that the problem
> is coming from the ADSL stuff.

I have previously tried to do that, but never managed anything other than
a plip connection.
But I can try again. I have two orange (RJ45 ?) cross-over chords to play
with. But the newer computer only has an on-board ethernet connection, so I
will have to try it with SW10 on that machine, and BL2 on this one.

BTW: Can you confirm that the example rc.inet1 file you posted previously had
this exact line in it:

hostname `cat /etc/HOSTNAME | cut -f1 -d .`

or should that be:

hostname `cat /etc/HOSTNAME | cat -f1 -d .`

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke