baslinux - [BL] Can't boot BL2 ramdisk or BL3 loop from DOS partition on scsi drive

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Can't boot BL2 ramdisk or BL3 loop from DOS partition on scsi drive
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:09:12 +0000 (UTC)

Using my 2.4.31 scsi kernel with BL2 ramdisk or BL3 loop

Uncompressing linux ...
Ok, booting the kernel

After this I eventually power off.

I can't use 2-floppy BL3 because it has no scsi support.

I need some kernel with scsi support to mount the linux ext2 partitions on the scsi drive and copy BL3 and BL2 to them.

I have booted to BL on scsi with the scsi 2.4.31 kernel, from a DOS partition on an IDE drive (loadlin). Why can't I boot from a DOS partition on scsi drive with the same scsi kernel?

This is a nice Compaq 400MHz computer with perfect Xvesa-FB ATI RAGE LT Pro video, and two ISA slots. It came with a scsi card that has a cable running from it to the board to a spot marked SCSI, and DOS and win98 are working on the scsi drive (8GB). We had to reinstall Win98 after shrinking the partition with PQMAGIC (lots of file system and directory problems). Works fine now.

The computer complains if we put in an IDE drive. Wants a compaq diagnostic diskette. (But it does have an IDE CD-ROM drive and we have a way to get into CMOS setup). It might work with parport or zip drive linux and a modified version of David's boot disk for that (change the kernel - also modules?).

I was thinking of moving the scsi card to my computer where the scsi controller died but it appears to be board-specific (I have no place to plug in that cable).

Is there something I need to change in baslinux.gz or initrd.gz when booting from a scsi drive?