baslinux - Re: [BL] 2.4.31 kernels won't boot on a computer with IDE zip drive

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 2.4.31 kernels won't boot on a computer with IDE zip drive
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 16:34:46 +0000 (UTC)

---
I then tried to boot to BL2 ext2 with 2.4.31 kernels, David Moberg's and
mine without IDEFLOPPY support but I can't even get far enough to see if
hdb is found (probably not).

Uncompressing linux...
ran out of input data
-- System halted
---

BL3 loop works fine (2.2.26 standard kernel). I don't have BL2 ext on
here yet.

I will try a 2.4.31 kernel with IDEFLOPPY support in both BL2s.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/bzimagjd.431 and configjd.431

A minimal 2.4.31 kernel without framebuffer, sound or scsi support but with support for IDEFLOPPY (IDE zip drive), similar to the la (laptop) kernel. This does not boot either.

What is missing in David's kernel and my kernels that is keeping them from booting to ext2 in this Gateway computer with 330MHz Celeron cpu? We moved all the drives including zip over from a Gateway with an older Intel cpu (300MHz) when the latter died, where everything booted as expected.

The computer is obviously a bit odd since BL2 ramdisk won't boot either, with standard 2.2.16 kernel. Gets stuck at 'Compressed image found at block 0' and yes, I made sure 4dos was unloaded (which I hope also unloaded any xmsdsk ramdisks).

2.2.16 and 2.2.26 kernels (Steven's standard ones) boot fine to BL2 ext2 and the latter to BL3 loop.

We have been using 2.4.31 for USB support though DOS seems to work okay with all our USB devices except the SM card reader. It would be convenient, however, to use the USB pen drive and card reader and camera directly in linux. (The zip drive is said to work with 2.2.26).

If anyone else has a Celeron, please check it with my small jd 2.4.31 kernel (or David's bigger one) in ext2 BL2 (or even BL3).

We were just given two other computers with Xvesa compatible video onboard (1MB RAM, not usable at 1024 because it is 8-bit) but no ISA slots, usable with a PCI Lucent or an external modem, instead of the Celeron (which came from our local apt complex dumpster). But we would like to know whether to avoid all Celerons in future.