baslinux - Re: [BL] Can't boot BL2 ramdisk or BL3 loop from DOS partition on scsi drive

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Can't boot BL2 ramdisk or BL3 loop from DOS partition on scsi drive
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 23:25:33 +0000 (UTC)

I am going to try bypassing config.sys to boot with my 2.4.31 scsi kernel, since 2.4.31 kernels won't boot on another computer unless I hit F5, and if that works, make a boot menu to go to DOS (with config.sys) or linux (without config.sys).

I considered using the BL3.40 'big' kernel but it has scsi and sd support without scsi controller support. What file would I modify in order to insert aic7xxx.o during boot to loop BL3.40? I don't think there is space in the file system to add a large module - what could I remove from initfs.gz to make space? (I had to delete linuxrc~ to even unmount the file system). Or would I need to copy initfs.gz to a larger size file?

It is simpler to use my already compiled scsi kernel, and bypass system files (assuming that works), and also have USB storage support.

Steven, do you want to compile a 'big' kernel with built-in aic7xxx?
Four of our scsi controllers (out of five) are that.