baslinux - Re: [BL] Cdrom

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Cdrom
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 22:01:27 +0000 (UTC)

If it is DOS, you simply copy the new kernel to C:/BASLIN
and edit BOOT.BAT to point at the new kernel (instead of
zimage).

If you are booting from DOS with loadlin, put the new kernel in C:\BASLIN not in the modules directory. loadlin will not find it there.
But I think the regular BL3.40 kernel should be able to handle the rtl8139 module. You would need the .big kernel for scsi support.

I have several such cards and will try them with BL3.40 - I sort of recall it not working and never figuring out why, though it works with an older rtl8139.o and kernel (2.2.16).

If it is LILO, you need to be very careful. Even a tiny
mistake will make your system unbootable! Copy the new
kernel to /boot and edit /etc/lilo.conf to point at the
new kernel (instead of zimage). Execute: lilo -v
Check for errors.

Are you booting from DOS with loadlin, or with lilo?

That worked great and booted ok. Couldn't find the 2.2.26 kernal in
lib/modules so I downloaded a new disk2 and copied and unpacked it in
The kernel is not supposed to be in lib/modules. For loadlin, it goes into a DOS \baslin directory, for lilo somewhere else (don't recall where).

a new directory src. Copied the new kernel 2.2.26 to /lib/modules,
copied the rtl8139.o file to the 2.2.26/misc directory and did a
That is correct.

insmod. Got the following response. insmod: init_module: rtl8139:
device or resource busy. According to the readme I tried editing the

This means that modules is not working with your ethernet card. The card could be dead (does it work with some other software?) or it could be the wrong module for the card.

> netsetup file with several variations, I am connected to a router so > I used the dynamic choices, but it didn't help. Do I need to copy
some other files from disk2? That's where I am now. Thanks for
being patient.

baslinux-request AT lists.ibiblio.org

elmarsa