baslinux - Re: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 21:53:40 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, David Moberg wrote:

The driver I posted is the old, proprietary (Lucent?) driver. You
can't compile it from source. I don't know if the new driver will work
with 2.2.16, but I don't care since the old driver works well.
Where did you post the old driver for 2.2.16? Sorry if I am getting
confused.

I posted links to the old driver here on the list. Here is the posting:

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2006-January/009322.html

The posting contains important details about how to set up the driver.
The directions were written for BL3.32 but the process is about the
same on BL2.

I copied over and symlinked (to ppp.o) ppp2214.o and I also unzipped the linux568.zip file and copied over ltmodem.o, both to /lib/modules/2.2.16/misc.

The installation file makes /dev/ttyS14 and links it to /dev/modem, but I did not run it.

insmod ltmodem
insmod: Kernel-module version mismatch
/lib/modules/2.2.16/misc/ltmodem.o was compiled for kernel version 2.2.12-20 while this kernel is version 2.2.16.

It did not insert (I checked with lsmod).

ppp2214.o was, not surprisingly, compiled for kernel 2.2.14 and won't insert either.

I am using the 2.2.16 kernel I compiled for myself with sound, scsi and framebuffer support.

Does 12-20 mean a subversion of 12, or a range of 12-20?

How on earth did you ever get this combination working with BL3.32?

What next? I could always give up my ISA sound card and put back the hardware modem. Or only go online with 2.2.26 (without scsi or USB support, which I don't actually need while online). Or use an external modem and remember to unplug it when not in use to save power.