baslinux - Re: [BL] Cdrom

  • From: elmarsa dice <elmarsadice AT yahoo.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Cdrom
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 09:09:41 -0700 (PDT)

--- sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 31 May 2006, elmarsa dice wrote:
>
> > Steve and Sindi,
> > Thanks for the reply. I finally found the 8139too.o file on the
> > knoppix disk and was successful in copying both the rtl8139.c and
> > 8139too.o files to the lib/modules/2.2.16/misc directory. I then
> did
> > the insmod on with both. The insmod on 8139too.o returned 29
> lines
> > of unresolved symbols.
>
> BL3.40 uses kernel 2.2.26 and modules for kernel 2.2.26.
> The older versions of BL used 2.2.16 - BL2.1 and BL3.32. You
> cannot use
> modules from the wrong kernel, it won't work.
> I don't know what kernel knoppix uses, but probably not 2.2.26.

I think you may have given my a clue. I downloaded BL3 from the
website onto 2 floppies and maybe it had the old kernel. Knoppix
uses 2.4.?. I don't have it running now.

> Use 2.2.26 modules with BL3.40 (unless you have changed to a
> different
> kernel, in which case use modules for THAT kernel).
>
> If you put the 2.2.26 modules into /lib/modules/2.2.26/misc then
> you can
> insmod them as 'insmod rtl8139' or 'insmod rtl8139.o' (I think you
> can
> even put rtl8139.o.gz in the right place and use it). If you put
> the
> modules in some place else, you will have to insmod rtl8139.o -
> this is
> handy if you simply want to try out some module from a floppy disk
> or some
> other place first.

I'll fool around with it.

> > The rtl8139.c file returned the following: (By the way I had to
> do
> > the insmod from the /lib/modules/2.2.16/misc directory because if
> > did it from the root prompt it came back "file rtl8139.c.o could
> not
> > be found". It obviously looks for a .o file to do its thing.)
>
> It looks for something of the same name that you gave it, with an
> .o after
> the name. So if you insmod rtl8139 it looks for rtl8139. If you
> tell it
> to insmod rtl8139.c it looks for rtl8139.c.o.
>
> The ending .c means it is source code written in the C language, to
> be
> compiled with a C compiler such as linux gcc or egcs. The
> compiler
> creates a new file ending in .o, which is a module. The module can
> be
> inserted with insmod, or compiled as part of the kernel. Steven's
> kernel
> does not have ethernet included but it has support for ethernet
> modules.
>
> So you need the module rtl8139.o compiled for kernel 2.2.26, from
> Steven's
> site. NOT the source code rtl8139.c, or a module for some other
> kernel
> (such as the kernel used by knoppix). DOS is much simpler, linux
> makes
> you match things more closely.

Thanks for the explanation. As you gather I am learning the system
and this forum is a great classroom

> > Here is the return:
> > Using rtl8139.c
> > insmod: not an ELF file (maybe BL3 is not configured for high
> speed)
> > insmod: could not load the module: Success
>
> The 'Success' does not seem to mean much, I get it when things
> fail.
> An ELF file is something that has already been compiled. You are
> trying
> to use source code. Source code is text, compiled source code is
> 'binary', meaning extended ASCII code (over code number 127).
> If you look at the rtl8139.c and rtl8139.o you will see the
> difference.
>
> > I don't know what the "Success" means but the browser wouldn't
> open
> > when I clicked on internet. It just came back "host not found".
>
> Host not found means that you did not establish a connection with
> the
> internet, because you did not load the ethernet module
> successfully.
>
> Try getting the correct module and insmod rtl8139 (after putting it
> into
> /lib/modules/2.2.26/misc in BL3.40). Then you will need to connect
> your ADSL router (udhcpc, says Steven) and then use the browser.

I wrote a note to Steven about my last try and will wait for his
reply. Thanks for the help. Hopefully one day I can return the
favor.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/add-ons/2_2_26/modules/net/rtl8139.o

> >> Or follow the link from the home page for BL3.40, for additional
> >> kernels
> >> and modules, modules, net.

> >> have
> also
> >> in
> work.
>
> The 'driver' is actually source code from which to compile the
> kernel
> module. It needs to be translated to the module first.
>

> >> This is the source code and it would need to be compiled before
> >> use.
>
> Sindi

> baslinux-request AT lists.ibiblio.org

elmarsa