baslinux - Re: [BL] scsi pcmcia in BL3.40 - module missing?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] scsi pcmcia in BL3.40 - module missing?
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 15:49:03 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 30 May 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

On Tue, 30 May 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Is there some way to determine directly, using cardmgr,
which card line I should use for this unsupported card?

cardmgr -vo

This gives the same info as plain 'cardmgr -o', which does not identify the card except as 'unsupported card'. How do I get the info out of it which goes into the pcmcia config file, such as the 'card' line?
There are three possible chips on the card, one of which is not supported and two of which are, and one of these I have the module for for 2.2.26.

And where do I look for 2.2.26 pcmcia modules not at the BL3 site?

I think when I compiled pcmcia it produced every imaginable module.
I may have the missing pcmcia-scsi module for 2.4.31.

Do you have any idea why the 700MHz PIII won't work with BL2 and older kernel but it will with BL3 (your kernel 2.2.26, and mine for 2.2.16 and 2.4.31 - the first two are 'FATAL: kernel too old' for BL2).

I used the exact same kernels for BL3 and BL2 2.2.16 and 2.2.26 - what else is different that would make BL3 work with the older kernels where BL2 says they are too old? Has anyone else tried BL2 on a PIII?

hdb partition table problem solved:

CD-ROM drive works in DOS (tho it takes a while for Oak driver to find it) but not in linux.

dmesg:
hdb: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:40 (hdb) sector 0
(and similarly for 2 4 6 0 2 4 6) Unable to read partition table.
When I try to mount a CD, 'hdb not a valid block device'.

Is there something I can do with loadlin so linux will not try to find a
partition table or sectors, but treat it as a CD-ROM device?

I had asked my partner to put the CD-ROM drive as hdb instead of hdc.
BL2 (my kernel) tried to read the partition table of hdb. BL3 (your kernel) identified it as an ATAPI zip drive, which it apparently is, and the CD-ROM is hdd. This apparently had something to do with the IDE cable not reaching between two drives, or possibly dyslexia.

I compiled my kernel without IDE zip drive support and will recompile with it so it recognizes the drive. And mount /dev/hdd as the CD-ROM drive.