baslinux - Re: [BL] Harddrive will not boot

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Harddrive will not boot
  • Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 07:32:33 +1200

elmarsa dice wrote:

> contents of lilo.conf
>
> boot=/dev/hda1
> image=/boot/zimage
> label=BL3
> root=/dev/hda1
> read-write

That should be: boot=/dev/hda
The rest is OK (assuming you put BL3 on /dev/hda1).

> when I boot with disk1, get the lilo and do a cntl and
> tab I get the choices of BL3 ramdisk and hd.
> I choose hd and then it comes up "loading hd"

You must enter a parameter after hd:
-----------------
hd root=/dev/hda1
-----------------
That assumes you put BL3 on /dev/hda1

> It then goes through the decompress etc, finds the
> partitions but ends with the message:
> RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM diski image starting @ 454
> VFS: Insert root floppy and press enter

That's because it does not know where the root is.

> Hopes that helps some in giving a clue to what is going on.

Insert first floppy. Start computer.
Press CTRL when LILO appears.
Enter: hd root=/dev/hda1
Wait for boot. Remove floppy.
Edit /etc/lilo.conf to make boot=/dev/hda
Execute: lilo -v
Press CTRL-ALT-DEL (and cross your fingers).

I hope that works.