baslinux - Re: [BL] BL 3.40 in qemu image

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL 3.40 in qemu image
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:32:35 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006, David Moberg wrote:

I've downloaded and unzipped it. I tried to mount it -o loop, but that
failed, apparently because you made a partitioned hard drive image,
and the partition table confused mount.

Thanks for testing that, David. Here's the command I used (gleaned from internet searching) to mount the image as a looped file: sudo mount -t ext2 -o loop,offset=32256 ~/qemu/BL-3.4-qemu.img ~/mnt/loop

qemu, and that was successful. I saw the usual boot messages, as well
as something about the ne card, so I tried links and it worked
instantly - very nice. I see that you put three lines into /etc/rc to
get this network autodetection working. I tried several other console
commands, and I have no problems to report there.

Yep. I figured since qemu emulates networking devices already present in BL, I would just enable them by default. Everything seemed to work fine for me from a console as well.

However, X worked for a little while, but then it crashed with an int
10h error. Have you seen this? I started an xterm and links, and
switched back to VT1 with the qemu console, then stopped X with
ctrl+c. When I tried to start it again, it showed the menu but crashed
when I moved the mouse. This is probably another Xvesa interaction.
Could this possibly be due to poor vesa emulation by qemu? Or could it
have something to do with grub? I will see if qemu will let you adjust
any of the device settings.

The only problem I've had with video under qemu (0.7.x) on my system has been when I exit the xserver or kill it (ctrl-alt-bkspc). When I do that, I get a (qemu) system lockup requiring a "hard reboot" (force the closing the of qemu window). But I've had no crashes of Xvesa so far, though I've toyed with this install quite a bit now. I had decided that Xvesa was just not interacting totally sanely with the emulated video component of qemu, just as it is wont to do with certain real hardware devices. Perhaps I should've replaced Xvesa with no-xvesa, or at least tested it to see if it performs any better? I hadn't tried switching VT's in qemu, I guess because I assumed it would result in problems, based on my experience with trying to exit Xvesa. I would not have thought (in my rather uninformed way) that GRUB could be causing the video problems. That said, it would be interesting to experiment with other boot loaders, both to see if this might address video issues but also to see if those bootloaders might be more suitable for BL even than GRUB (size-wise, anyway). I may try out the extlinux bootloader you referenced recently: I was unaware of that one.

Thanks, James