baslinux - Re: [BL] FM synthesis (for sindi and any others interested)

  • From: "Samual Acorn" <sam.acorn AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] FM synthesis (for sindi and any others interested)
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 22:20:33 -0600

On 21/04/06, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Samual Acorn wrote:
>
> > as promised; some recordings of FM synth the way it was -supposed- to
> > be done... in these tunes each voice of the OPL chips are controlled
> > directly... stereo/echo/reverb/polyphony and even the instrument
> > parameters themselves are all done manually... nothing is preset...
>
> I will try this out as soon as I put together a computer that has a
> working SB16 sound card, a working IDE controller, and a modem.
> I am currently online via Toshiba laptop/pcmcia.

these are ogg vorbis files... you dont need a specific soundcard...
just one that works...

> > first a very old tune... composed just for the OPL2...
> > http://rapidshare.de/files/18539280/adlib_ticktock.ogg.html
> > the OPL2 is mono and has only 8 voices...
> >
> > http://rapidshare.de/files/18538281/adlib_cheatengine.ogg.html
> > this one is also for the OPL2... with a little more interesting
> > instruments.. not sounding quite like general midis fm patches
> > anymore.
>
> playmidi -f ? As opposed to playmidi -4 for the one below?
> I will also try playmidi -f on the OPL3 file.

these werent/arent midi files... playmidi wasnt used... but you could
think of it that way... the opl3 does support 2operator mode just that
it has more options like stereo... that can be used in two op mode...
the above songs are mono and 2op only because thats all the opl2 can
do...

> > http://rapidshare.de/files/18534740/adlib_oldschool.ogg.html
> > now for the OPL3 ... a stereo chip with 18 voices and more waveform
> > options... 'reverb' was of course done manually... the width of the
> > variable width pulse used as the lead at the beginning and end can be
> > changed as the note is playing... not quite GMs domain...
> >
> > http://rapidshare.de/files/18540187/adlib_encore.ogg.html
> > again OPL3... and the most complex of the tunes... so much so that the
> > artist said that they wouldnt ever try something like this again...
> > see if you can 'name the tune'....
> >

> > and just for good measure (no pun intended) a demo of another
> > apparently obsolete chip... the yamaha XG...
> >
> > http://rapidshare.de/files/18540947/yxg_xgtechno.zip.html
>
> I think I have this chip in the Win98 laptop! It starts up with some
> message about Yamaha XG Softsynth. I can try listening to your three
> files with Windows/Yamaha. (Turns out the PCMCIA slot is okay, the
> Winmodem 'cannot open port' so is probably dead).

softsynth is the software version of the XG... to be honest... its
what i used too.. an old copy of S-YXG70 that came included on the PC
version of final fantasy 7.... unfortunatly it only works in windows
9x... if anyone out there knows where to get an NT version im all ears
but i think this is the wrong list to ask this on...

> How would I set up the Yamaha XG sound card to work in linux (after
> shrinking Windows with Partition Resizer or Partition Manager)? If it
> needs ALSA sound, would it be simpler to install SW10.2 (and will it fit
> into 500MB without source code or compiler?)
>

> I gave up on the sound chip in the Toshiba and Hitachi laptops (some cross
> between MSS and SBPro for play and record) but got the video working
> (similar config for both). This Win98 laptop has Neomagic video, which
> might be a pain to set up for X but is not needed for playing with sound.

> I also just realized that the essolo1 PCI sound card in the Win98 desktop
> played at full volume through some really cheap unpowered speakers, which
> implies that my other card (in the linux computer with powered speakers
> turned up full) has a dead amp on it.

depending on how the card is built you might be able to replace it...