baslinux - Re: [BL] BL 3.40 in qemu image

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL 3.40 in qemu image
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 20:42:53 -0700

James Miller wrote:

> Thanks for testing that, David. Here's the command I used (gleaned from
> internet searching) to mount the image as a looped file: sudo mount -t
> ext2 -o loop,offset=32256 ~/qemu/BL-3.4-qemu.img ~/mnt/loop

Thanks, that worked perfectly.

> > However, X worked for a little while, but then it crashed with an int
> > 10h error. Have you seen this? I started an xterm and links, and
> > switched back to VT1 with the qemu console, then stopped X with
> > ctrl+c. When I tried to start it again, it showed the menu but crashed
> > when I moved the mouse. This is probably another Xvesa interaction.
> > Could this possibly be due to poor vesa emulation by qemu? Or could it
> > have something to do with grub? I will see if qemu will let you adjust
> > any of the device settings.
>
> The only problem I've had with video under qemu (0.7.x) on my system has
> been when I exit the xserver or kill it (ctrl-alt-bkspc).

I'm running qemu within X, so Ctrl-alt-backspace kills the host X
server too. Do you know if the sendkey command (in the qemu console)
can handle the backspace key? It doesn't seem to work for me.

> I had decided that Xvesa was
> just not interacting totally sanely with the emulated video component of
> qemu, just as it is wont to do with certain real hardware devices.
> Perhaps I should've replaced Xvesa with no-xvesa, or at least tested it to
> see if it performs any better?

Try adding the -std-vga option to the qemu command line when you start
it. I still see warning messages, but Xvesa seems to run smoothly. In
fact, it hasn't crashed yet with this option.

>From the help text:

localhost:/# qemu -h | grep VGA
-L path set the directory for the BIOS and VGA BIOS
-std-vga simulate a standard VGA card with VESA Bochs Extensions
(default is CL-GD5446 PCI VGA)

> I would not have thought (in my
> rather uninformed way) that GRUB could be causing the video problems.

You're right; I was just suggesting a very remote possibility.

David