baslinux - Re: [BL] USR Megahertz CC/XJEM3336 PCMCIA ethernet/modem card

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USR Megahertz CC/XJEM3336 PCMCIA ethernet/modem card
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 07:18:59 +1200

sindi keesan wrote:

> ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1
>
> route shows eth0, but I cannot ping between computers.
> Bad card or bad cable? Any other possibilities?

Bad dongle.
Wrong type of cable (eg crossover).
Target computer not configured.
Target computer configured but for different network.
Wrong address in ping command.

> The DELL 3com dongle fits the linksys card (pcnet_cs) and
> ifconfig works but ping does not.

ifconfig tells you nothing about the actual network connection,
nor does route. They both work perfectly even when there is no
network cable plugged into the computer.

> Should dongles that fit also work?

Not necessarily. Dongles are not standardized. There is little
consistency between different manufacturers.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru