baslinux - Re: [BL] USR Megahertz CC/XJEM3336 PCMCIA ethernet/modem card

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USR Megahertz CC/XJEM3336 PCMCIA ethernet/modem card
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 01:37:09 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Bridge register mapping failed: check cb_mem_base setting.

cb_mem_base ? CardBus? BL3 doesn't do CardBus.

This is a 10MBit card and probably not cardbus. I don't know what cb_mem_base means.

The Xircom card is marked good 10MBit (probably tested with Windows).

IIRC there is some problem with Xircom network cards
(but not Xircom modems).

Yes, I got that impression.

Do I need a new cardmgr as well?

The cardmgr in BL3 is specially compiled to be small.
A bigger, more recent cardmgr will have more capabilities.

I can use the one from SW8.1.

Instead, I returned the xircom and got two other 10MBit cards with dongles. These are prize specimens but apparently nobody else wants 10MBit cards so they have been there a while.

These were in exchange for my partner fixing the paper feed problem on the HP Ljet 5 by cleaning the subpads, which only took an hour - he practiced yesterday on a friend's related model after we fixed her Win98 boot error message by removing her favorite screen saver which changed between 10 large pictures every 60 seconds. Do any linuxes have screen savers which interfere with shutdown?

A Farallon (for which I also have a BNC dongle) by 3com (EtherWave and EtherMac) - is this 10MBit? PCMCIA 2.1 and PC card standard, marked 'OK'.

A Billionton 56K modem + 10Base-T PC card with dongle containing RJ-32 (? phone) and RJ-45 (ethernet) ports and two green lights, marked both modem and ethernet OK. With driver diskette.

Have these worked for anyone on the list?

We were given a router with a slot for a wireless rtl8180 card (for which I have the 2.4.31 module from David) that says not to use the card in a PCMCIA slot. How does one set up software in linux for such beasts? You can plug a non-crossover ethernet cable between a computer and the router, and pick up signals with the router over the air instead of over a phone line. Is this any more likely to work than the Linksys 32-bit PCMCIA card?