baslinux - Re: [BL] USR Megahertz CC/XJEM3336 PCMCIA ethernet/modem card

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USR Megahertz CC/XJEM3336 PCMCIA ethernet/modem card
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 13:28:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1

route shows eth0, but I cannot ping between computers.
Bad card or bad cable? Any other possibilities?

Bad dongle.

I switched dongles between the two Megahertz cards. The one that works with the other card does not work with this one. (I should check whether the dongle from the bad card works with the good one).

The card came labelled 'good modem', which might imply 'bad ethernet'.

Wrong type of cable (eg crossover).
Same cable works with the other card. Straight cable, with crossover adaptor.

Target computer not configured.
Target computer configured but for different network.
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2

Wrong address in ping command.
Nope.

None of these, it is the card itself. Both computers work with the good Megahertz card, linked to a desktop computer, neither works with the bad one.

The DELL 3com dongle fits the linksys card (pcnet_cs) and
ifconfig works but ping does not.

The linksys card may also be bad. Untested because it came without a dongle. People donate lots of junk.

The DELL dongle also fits the Xircom card, which even when set up properly in config with xircom module is not working with this version of PCMCIA. cardmgr -o:

Bridge register mapping failed: check cb_mem_base setting. No bridges found.

The Xircom card is marked good 10MBit (probably tested with Windows).

This is apparently a bug in pcmcia version 3.1.11 and up, but not in 3.1.10. Which pcmcia version does BL3.40 use?

People wrote in that they had problems with kernel 2.2.14 and kernel 2.4.0-test6. I may eventually try kernel 2.4.31. I think I compiled my own pcmcia modules because the SW10.2 ones did not work (they had some dependencies or something). Do I need a new cardmgr as well?

ifconfig tells you nothing about the actual network connection,
nor does route. They both work perfectly even when there is no
network cable plugged into the computer.

And apparently also when the card is not working.

Should dongles that fit also work?

Not necessarily. Dongles are not standardized. There is little
consistency between different manufacturers.

The DELL 3com dongle fits the xircom, but the two 3com Megahertz ones use another size.

I will go look for another 10Mbit card that is missing its dongle, to try with the DELL dongle.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru

Is the BL2 site in BL3 hotlist?