baslinux - Re: [BL] USR Megahertz CC/XJEM3336 PCMCIA ethernet/modem card

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USR Megahertz CC/XJEM3336 PCMCIA ethernet/modem card
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:28:04 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

We have two Megahertz ethernet cards which both use smc91c92_cs.o (and
8390). The 10BT/2 works in all our laptops. The XJEM3336 modem is
working right now, and I set up /etc/pcmcia/config as follows but tho
smc91c82_cs inserts, ifconfig does not find it - no such device. These are
both 16-bit cards.

The problem was fixed by rebooting. It comes back if I take the card out and put it back in. The serial part still works.
IS there something i can do other than reboot if I change ethernet cards?

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1

route shows eth0, but I cannot ping between computers. Bad card or bad cable? Any other possibilities?

supposed to work with either RJ-45 or BNC, and for which I have a Farallon
BNC dongle (but no other BNC dongle and I want to transfer between
laptops). And Xircom Credit Card 11PS. Are dongles interchangeable
between manufacturers?

FOr the two Megahertz models, we had to make a crossover adaptor. One
comes with a built-in cable which plugs into the adaptor, and we plugged a
non-crossover cable from the combo card to the adaptor.

The adaptor is known working. The PCMCIA dongle is not. We can check continuity.

I think the noncrossover cable worked before. We never had any that did not.

Most likely a bad card.

The dongles come in various sizes/shapes. The DELL 3com dongle fits the linksys card (pcnet_cs) and ifconfig works but ping does not. The DELL 3com dongle does NOT fit the Megahertz 3com card which is not pinging. Nothing but the BNC dongle fits the Linksys card.
Should dongles that fit also work? I don't even know if the 3com dongle is working with the 3com card (32-bit).