baslinux - Re: [BL] java and tax software

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] java and tax software
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 17:33:37 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:

> Is a JRE something like solibs? Only what you need to run programs but
> not compile them?

Java applets that you browse to are usually source code or bytecode.
So the JRE is an interpreter, something like gcc plus libraries.

> > Same here. This might explain why I was able to switch to BL so
> > easily - I had no dependence on proprietary tax software.
> > I tried some free, HTML-only web-based service that the IRS
> > offered (a 3rd party actually hosted the service) several years
> > ago, but gave up because it was more complex than manual tax
> > filing.
>
> The one I tried needs java - what did you try?

I don't remember. I can't find it now; I think they discontinued it.

> >> Can java be added to links2 and used in text mode (without motif)?
> >
> > I don't think so. Does links2 even accept plugins?
>
> It accepts viewers and players as Associations. How do you define a
> plug-in?

I don't know. I tried searching for 'links java' and 'links plug-ins'
but I couldn't find anything.

David